Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Recent Korea Fair Trade Commission developments to affect IP practices

By Kee-Hong Chun, Attorney at law

The intersection between competition law and intellectual property law has been a contentious issue and one that is currently increasing in Korea. 

The Korea Fair Trade Commission (“KFTC”) recently recognized the abuse of intellectual property rights as a priority for enforcement. To this end, the KFTC amended the “Guidelines on the Examination of the Exercise of Intellectual Property Rights”, which came into effect on April 7th, 2010, to provide guidance and set forth scenarios illustrating the possible unfair exercise of intellectual property rights in licensing (including cross-licensing), patent-pooling and standard-setting activities. In 2010 and 2011, the KFTC conducted intellectual property right abuse surveys in the pharmaceutical, IT, chemical and machinery industries. 
On January 17th, 2012, the KFTC further announced the new “Guidelines for Fair Patent License Agreements”, which aimed to prevent unfair practices and provide practical support in the licensing of intellectual property rights. As an added step in its endeavor to deter abuse of patent rights that may take place in connection with the adoption of a patented technology as an industry standard, the KFTC promulgated the “Model Operation Standards for Standard-Setting Organizations” on January 31st, 2012. It is important to note that these guidelines may still be relevant to a company even if the company does not participate in any standard-setting activities within Korea because the guidelines are not intended to be applied to standard-setting organizations the operate exclusively in Korea. 

In light of the fact that the KFTC is attempting to enforce competition law in this area more actively (as demonstrated by the recent amendments to the guidelines and the KFTC’s intellectual property right abuse surveys in 2010 and 2011), it is likely that there will be more developments through the KFTC's investigations and examinations of anticompetitive practices involving the use and abuse of intellectual property rights in the future. 

28 comments:



  1. This post is so great and useful info. I really enjoy it. Thanks for sharing a great article. I have read and shared to all my friends. Thanks again.
    ศัลยกรรม

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. A magnificent article this. I really love the way you've presented the writing in this article. It's very lovely and I hope you keep this quality of your work going.


      ilock pro tools 11 crack

      Delete
    2. Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I've been looking for books of this nature for a way too long. I'm just glad that I found yours. Looking forward for your next post. Thanks smile

      Model Search America

      Delete


    3. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will locate that extremely useful...


      กล้องวงจรปิด

      Delete


    4. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will locate that extremely useful...


      รับจัดทัวร์

      Delete
    5. You made some good points; I did a little research on the topic and found that most people agree with your blog. Thanks.

      ครีมหน้าใส

      Delete
    6. To be honest. I haven't seen a good post like this in a year now. And seeing this post now, ahh, it really pleasures me. Thanks a lot for this post.

      ลาว ทัวร์

      Delete
    7. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips.

      รับจัดทัวร์

      Delete


    8. Hello, I just wanted to come here and tell you that you are doing a wonderful job on making these posts. And you should continue doing so!


      fixdietweight.com

      Delete


  2. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more.


    friv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. Great Posting love this way, I have no point to raise in against of what you have said I think you explain the whole situation very well.
      carb back-loading 1.0 reviews

      Delete


  3. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more.


    ราคารถใหม่

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found this has a good stuff for the readers and designers. I would be glad to recommend the post for its quality content. Nice post.

      Boze_Marketing

      Delete
    2. Just wanted to give a quick shout out and say that I genuinely enjoy reading your articles. You have given more than visitors expectancy. This post is very helpful, edifying and in addition cool thoughts on the topic.

      maid agency Singapore

      Delete


  4. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.

    เกมส์วันพีช

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. A magnificent article this. I really love the way you've presented the writing in this article. It's very lovely and I hope you keep this quality of your work going.


      here

      Delete


  5. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work.

    starting a blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was bit confused and lost while setting up my iphone app.Then one of my friend show it to me and i find out its really easy.desktop backgrounds

      Delete


  6. We have science as proof to show that biotin can also help promote healthy hair. Unexplained hair loss and hair breakage, as well as dry skin and cracked, brittle nails are all signs of a biotin deficiency in the body. That
    ruity loops 11 producer crack download

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to take a moment to express my sincere thanks and gratitude for your company and its people. You should be very proud of the company you run.
    iRepair singapore

    ReplyDelete


  8. I would like to take a moment to express my sincere thanks and gratitude for your company and its people. You should be very proud of the company you run.

    Aktien

    ReplyDelete


  9. Your page is sweet, your graphics are great, and what's more, you use videos that are relevant to what you're saying. You're definitely one in a million
    Perry Gibson at GameAccessoryGuide.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept.
    wholesale mailing bags

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice blog and articles. I am realy very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found which I actually want. I check your blog everyday and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post.
    ibcbet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now look at the main features of Noida projects – Supertech Eco Village 3. This project has total cost 1,350 Crore in hand

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m interacting along the customer total the pace figuring external what they demand further if I’m huddle their ambitions, necessitys moreover plan.desktop backgrounds

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems like an educational blog which always some new information to visitors and Enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.grandstream gxp1450

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for this awesome web page, i like it alat bantu sex because the article is very unique and easy to understand obat penghilang tato

    ReplyDelete